The year that was 2016
It has been my habit to go through the year that has gone by and what impact it had on us how the same affected the common man and his habits. Has it been a situation like none the worse for fear or where there happenings which were squeaky clean. It was totally mixtures of lot of expectations and disappointments. I had gone into the gamut of entire happenings and putting before you some of the important sequences which had been in the limelight of things.
In Tamilnadu during the month of January all the political parties were preparing for the assembly elections and the whole state was into vote bank politics and each and every other party was at their heels to meet the voters and convince them for getting their votes. Accepting the ruling AIADMK and DMK parties there was no zing on any other party while they did the canvassing. More so Jayalalithaa the ruling Chief Minister was acquitted of all charges in the Supreme Court in her disproportionate cases. This has been a boon for their Party.
- January – The Indian and Pakistani governments provided one another with a full list of nuclear sites, military and civilian, in accordance with the 1988 Non-Nuclear Aggression Agreement
- 2 January – Heavily armed gunmen, reportedly members of Jaish-e-Mohammed, attackedan Indian Air Force base in Pathankot, Punjab. Two of the gunmen were killed.
- 3 January – A magnitude 7 earthquake struck India29 km (18 mi) west of Imphal with a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII (Very strong). At least eight people were killed, 100 others were injured and some buildings were damaged.
5 April – Bihar state imposed liquor ban.
- 2016 Ujjain SimhasthaKumbha Fair organized between 22 April and 21 May. Nearly 75 million people visited the fair during this one-month period.
- 10 April – Puttingal temple firecaused 107 deaths.
- Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly election, 2016- Jayalalithaa-led AIADMKwon majority.
- Assam Legislative Assembly election, 2016– BJP won majority.
- West Bengal Legislative Assembly election, 2016- Mamata Benarjee-led TMC won majority.
- Puducherry Legislative Assembly election, 2016- Congress won majority.
- May: Hypersonic Flight Experiment: The ISRO‘s RLV-TDvehicle was launched from the first launchpad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre on board an HS9 rocket booster
- 30 May: 30 died following fire in army weapon depot in Pulgaon, Wardha district, Maharashtra.
- 22 June – ISROsend 20 satellites in space on PSLV-XL.
- 25 June – 2016 Pampore attack
- Government of Indiaaccepted 7th Pay Commission recommendations to increase salaries of employees.
16 Kashmir unrest
- 2016 Indian Air Force An-32 disappearance
- 2 July: At least 30 died in heavy rains in Uttarakhand.
- 3 August – Goods and Services Tax (India)Bill passed in parliament.
- 5 August – 2016 Kokrajhar shooting
- 9 August – Manipuractivist Irom Sharmila ended her 16 years of hunger strike
- 14 August – Na. Muthukumar – died he was an Indian / Tamil poet, lyricist, and author National award winner
- Indian general strike of 2016
2016 India–Pakistan military confrontation escalated following
Uri attack on 19 eptember.
- Kaveri River water dispute: violence broke out in Karnataka
- 13 Septemebr – 43 out of 44 MLAs of Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assemblyleft Congress and joined People’s Party of Arunachal
- 22 September Jayalalithaa Chief Minister Tamilnadu admitted to Apollo Hospitals Chennai for Respiratory disorders
- 30 September – Bihar liquor ban: Patna High Courtstruck down liquor ban law.
- 2 October – 2016 Baramulla attack
- 13 October – BJP joined People’s Party of Arunachal-lead government in Arunachal Pradesh.
- 15 October – 24 died following stampede at religious meet in Varanasi
- 17 October – Fire in SUM Hospital in Bhubaneshwar. 22 died.]
- 19 October -Qnet multi-level marketing: former World Billiards Champion Michael Ferrera arrested
- 24 October – Cyrus Mistrywas sacked as the Chairman of the Tata Sons. Tata is one of Indian’s biggest conglomerate
- 27 October – Senari massacre case of Bihar: 15 convicted, 23 acquitted by court. 10 death sentence.
- October – Bihar liquor ban: Supreme Court stays High Court order, liquor ban reimposed.
- October – Samajwadi Party, ruling Uttar Pradesh, caught in family feud.
- CM Tamilnadu Ms Jayalalithaa continues her treatment for various complications in her health, Doctors from London, AIMS attended her. She has been in hospital for more than 60 days now.
- 1 Novemeber – 2016 Manipur unrest started
- 8 November – The Indian government withdraws ₹500 and ₹1000 banknoteswith immediate effect. New notes will be issued to the nation. Caused political uproar.
- 11 November – 42 Congress MLAs submitted their resignations to Punjab Vidhan Sabhafollowing the Supreme Court order related to the Sutlej Yamuna link canal
- 16 November- The winter session of Indian Parliament starts, with debate on note ban.
- 20 November – A train derails near Pukhrayan killing at least 150 people.
- 26 Novemebr – Nabha jailbreak in Punjab. 6 flee.
- 29 November – 2016 Nagrota army base attack
- 30 November – Supreme Court of India ordered cinemas to play national anthembefore films.
- The Indian parliament was totally disrupted by opposition parties on account of demonetization of Note Ban and which has caused the tax payers money more than 200 crores for non-conducting of any business.
- 05 December – Tamilnadu CMJ Jayalalithaa who has been hospitalised for 72 days in Apollo Hospital was officially announced as dead after suffering Cardiac arrest.
- 07 December The popular Editor and actor of Thuglaq Magazine died due to cardiac arrest. He was close to our Prime Minister Modi and an efficient Critic on the political arena. Was an eminent advisor to Tamilnadu Chief Minister too.
- 10 December – IndustrialistPawan Ruia arrested following railway complaint.
- 12 December –Cyclone Vardah makes landfall on Tamilnadu 18 died.
- 14 December – TheNational Green Tribunal banned kite-flying with manja, a thread coated in a sticky paste of ground-up glass, following outcry over deaths and injury caused by it.
- 15 December – Supreme Court bans sale of liquor on national and state highways due to large number of road accidents caused by drunks every year
- December -2013 Indian helicopter bribery scandal: arrests made including former Indian Air Force
- The Indian Cricket Team Lead by Virat Kohli has won both tNewzealand and England sustaining the No.1 Title in the Test Arena in the world. Well done.
The above are the events which have gone by the roll of time and we have come into the new year with hopes of getting better and better. The abysmal fact that our CM Jayalalitha of Tamilnadu is no more and there are iffy aspects about her hospital treatment and we need to keep the fingers crossed to know the truth until.